Monday, March 23, 2015

You Will Be Okay


Seldom a dull moment around here.

I don't know that I will ever actually feel safe here again.  Not since one or more coyotes came over my dog pen fence Friday night to dig up Cameron's body and carry it away before the neighbor dogs scared it/them off.  It amazes me to learn they can easily jump or scale a 6 or 8 foot fence.  All those stories I have read about them jumping a fence to grab a cat or small dog -  I assumed the fences to be about 4 feet tall. 

First, a couple of years ago, all the feral cats along our walk route disappeared.  Last year all the squirrels disappeared.  They are repopulating now but not the cats. There was the coyote I sighted nearby last summer while walking Buddy and Sam.  And then a couple of reports from neighbors of coyote sightings right here. The neighbors and I have no doubt it was a coyote(s).  But why the bottom of the fence was torn loose and Cameron dragged through such a small opening is a mystery.

It's a relief I couldn't dig more than an inch in the clay outside the pen or Cameron would have been gone.  I re-buried him Saturday.  It was a long hard, brutally painful day.  Between my back and the latest knee injuries from the fall in February, it was all I could do to use a shovel.  NEVER, EVER try to dig in clay unless you are a big, strong, young dude, which I am not!

Saturday night was quiet.  It was hours before I could crawl out of bed Sunday.  Last night I slept hard for a while and got up before 4 a.m.   There was no barking but it sounded like the neighbor dogs were trying to get out of their yard again.  I opened the door to hear better and Marcus hit the screen to run out barking.

He's funny.  He has a habit of getting so excited, he runs bravely to the fence barking madly, turns his head, finds he's alone, turns tail and runs back toward the house.  As usual, Sam and Merci charged through the door to his rescue and the three ran to the back fence and barked. I got a squirt bottle (well, it's better than no weapon at all) and followed in the slushy mud.  There was a face peering at me from inside the wooden fence the neighbor had just boarded over Saturday. 


There was nothing I could do at 4 in the morning, but I was so worried I stood at the door watching for well over an hour, then sat on a stool.  The noise continued and there was a lot of whining between breaks.  No barking, so I had slept through whatever had happened to initiate this.  Before 6, it got quiet.  I felt terrible.  The dogs had escaped and I couldn't even let the neighbor know until after daylight.

When I tried to go back to bed, I discovered Buddy had been left gated in the bedroom so he had pulled back the covers to make himself comfortable and had vomited.   There is a pad under the sheet for such an emergency but I had to dig up another sheet and remake the bed.  Sleep was a long time coming and thankfully the phone rang at 9.

I would be devastated if my dogs got loose, so I dressed and went next door.  There was such relief as I checked their back fence.  The dogs had not made it out after all!  But the folks do know the fence needs repair again.  She said they will try to put up some type of camera back there to see what is going on in that area at night. 


The funny part is that after I fed the animals and was about to fix my own breakfast, the dogs started carrying on.  I found a city worker on the outside of the fence reading the meter.  He pointed to Marcus and said, "What is he?  He's beautiful."


I guess it's time to get Marcus a bigger bowl.  I don't think his nose is going to fit in it for the swelled head he has now. 

I really enjoy a singer called Kaoma.  He often makes a capella singing videos, but this one has music.  It seems an appropriate time to receive a YouTube notification about his song titled "You'll Be Okay".  I sure hope so! (One guy, four parts.)


If the video doesn't play, click here.

41 comments:

  1. Dear Jan and Crew..... we were away over the weekend and did Not know about Cameron.... We are SO very VERY sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so scary about the coyotes! We hope they stay away and things calm down for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. guys...tell yur mom ta hang windchimes ...noizee onez...round de propertee...loud noize will typically scare coyoteez a way az will whistles... like life guard kinda whistlez...while out ona walk...sorree de week oh end wuz az it wuz....♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are also so sorry for your loss. We had been gone, and came back today. We know exactly how you are feeling. We keep hearing Dietzy meowing when it is time to feed the dogs, ...it funny cos we had him for so long, its like he is still around checking in on us. Hugs and Prayers....stella rose and momma

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you had to go through this horrible ordeal. I'm surprised they could get up that tall of a fence too. It's so important to feel safe where you are. We have lost many ferals to coyotes, too,

    Hoping things are better for you,



    Debby in Prescott Valley, Arizona
    http://homelesscatcare.blogspot.com/


    I hope you can find ways to

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crikey ...... what a time you're having?? Seems to me a whole day in bed, preferably without a vomiting Buddy, would be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so scary about the coyotes!
    My hopeless mom-person have been working all weekend and today she and my dad-person ran away for most of the day , so we didn´t know about Cameron until now.
    Me and my mom-person are so sorry for your loss.
    Sending lots of huggies <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that coyotes could get over such a high fence. There are plenty of them in this urban area (saw one skirting a campus building last year, on my way to the office), but they're more often heard than seen (by me, I mean). Lots of purrs and purrayers to you and to you all, for your safety and peace (of mind, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh mom Jan, how scairty for you. we are so sorry you had to bury cameron again. we are glad all the woofies are ok. {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  10. That must have been so frightening!! I hope you find out what's causing the ruckus!! Poor Buddy too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We hate those coyotes, they have eaten several of my friends over the years. I hope they are smart enough to not come near our yard, they wouldn't survive the Dad factor. We hope safe and sound finds you and calms your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coyotes are a fact of life around here, which is why we are all indoor cats, and even though I can go out on a leash with human supervision, we never do it at dusk or later. My human, who loves most animals, really has only two dislikes: coyotes and black widow spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We would be scared with such a coyote problem too! We hope that things quiet down and back to normal.

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  14. We feel terrible about all this. You've gone through so much and now you deserve peace and quiet to begin your healing. We pray you get it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are in our thoughts and we are sending great big Noodle hugs!

    Noodle and crew

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jan we are so sorry that you are having an awful time of it..i have heard that pvc pipe cut down the centre and stuck on the fence means animals cannot get a grip to leap over...hpw harrowing for you and the neighbours.i am sending huge hugs and hoping your world starts to take a turn for the better..loves Bev xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. How awful that Cameron's resting place was disturbed. I'm sorry you're having a hard time, Jan. I hope you and the farmers are safe and better times are coming soon.
    xxoo
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a scary night for all of you, Jan and the crew. We didn't know coyotes could get over such high walls and fences, but we hope they stay away. Perhaps it is time for someone to do a hunt to get rid of some of them.

    We is sending our purrs that the rest of the week will be more peaceful. Hugs to Jan too.

    Sasha, Sami, & Saku

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've gone through so much rough time... You deserve some quiet time now ! Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gads, coyotes are crafty varmints. We have seen them here once in a while, but not lately. We do not see feral/stray cats too much here, maybe they make the dinner for the coyotes and foxes...Oh My:((

    We do hope things quiet down to a normal crzy not the horrible crazy you have been enduring the past few days.

    Piurrs and sofy licks and big hugs to you.

    Funny about the worker wanting to know about Marcus, you needed some comic relief!

    ReplyDelete
  21. All will be well, yes it will.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so sorry you have had to go thru all this after losing Cameron so unexpectedly. We have not seen or heard coyotes here but I am sure they are around. Hope they stay away from your yard in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was exactly what Mommy needed today!
    Sorry, very sorry about Cameron!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so very sorry for all you've had to go through and I hope that things will now find a path to peace and calm. Thinking of you. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hopefully after that fence is repaired - REALLY repaired - you will get some peace and quiet. Scary about all the coyotes around you. There are VERY rare sightings here in our area fortunately......and only one brown bear in the 19 years we've lived here. You need a break from all the hoopla and sadness FOR SURE - I hope it arrives soon!

    Hugs, Pam (and Sam)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jan - I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through such a terrible experience on top of everything else you have had to cope with recently. Coyotes have become a serious problem even in the urban metro area I live in. Many cats & small dogs have been snatched & killed when let outside. Now the news warns people not to leave their cats or small dogs alone in the yard because the liklihood of a coyote killing them is so great. This is probably the worse time of year when food is in such short supply & many houses have been built on their territory. My sister lives on a small farm in a rural area & they have had to post warning signs because people like to abandon cats & dogs in their fields thinking they will be quickly found & taken in. The sad reality is that the coyotes will find them before any human does. I know how traumatic having Cameron's body carried off must be for you after trying so hard to properly bury him. I sincerely hope that finding dog barf in your bed is the end of you run of bad luck. Statistically, you are long overdue for something good to happen in your life. I hope you feel better soon & that you can find a way to get your mind off the stress you've been under. You are in our thoughts & prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so sorry you had to suffer with the coyotes digging up sweet Cameron. They are awful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Never heard of that group. Beautiful song. Sorry you had to worry about the coyotes. Hoping things get calmer for you. Hugs and blessings.
    Sue B
    Charlie,Cashew,Garfield,Tubby,Hope

    ReplyDelete
  29. So sorry to hear about Cameron. It's always hard to lose them but I couldn't live without them.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh goodness, you all have really been through the wringer lately! We are praying that peace, comfort and joy find their way to you very soon.

    Hugs to you, dear friends.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Aw Jan, i'm so sorry for all you've been going through :(

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jan, do you know anything yet? With the camera I mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Katie, I don't. I doubt they will actually put one up since we already know what the problem is. The dogs wouldn't dig and tear up the fence over a dog, cat or possum. They're big enough to chase off a coyote or two.

      Delete
  33. So sowry yous havin' so many purrawlems wiff da coyotes and da sneakies. Weez also sowry yous not feel safe in yous own home. We fur sure know wjat dat feels like. Weez'll be purrayin' fur y'all.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Lexi

    ReplyDelete
  34. Jan we are so very very sorry to read of Cameron's passing and of all the stressful time you have had since. Sending you tons of luvs, head bumps and purrs.
    Marty, Mom and the Gang

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am so sorry for all this horrible stress. It really hurts our minds and bodies more than we know. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Stay safe!

    Sherri
    The Painter Pack

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yes, you will be okay. I grew in the forest where coyotes were just a part of night life. We always had to make sure the animals were in at night and we did lose a cat or two who had decided not to come in on time. It was so normal to me then. I'd hear them howl and it was no more bother than the owls or any other night noise. I know it can be so scary though, if you're not used to them. I just hope your animals stay safe and your neighbor dogs, too. Yes, you will be okay

    ReplyDelete
  37. Jan, was it a dog face you saw? Headbonks and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Marcus is quite a beautiful dog :) I hope that the coyote problem calms down for you guys.
    -Purrs from your friends at www.PlayfulKitty.net

    ReplyDelete
  39. Holy cow, you sure DON'T have a dull moment! I'm so sorry to read that Cameron's body was dug up. That's terrible. I have heard of round, spinning bars that can be installed on top of fences ~ they are supposed to make it harder/impossible for deer etc. to jump the fence, as they would lose traction once touching the bars. I can't remember the name of those bars though :-(

    I hope things will quiet down for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by for a visit. We love to hear from you.